[Freeswitch-users] e164.org

Lawrence Conroy lconroy at insensate.co.uk
Wed Mar 20 03:51:23 MSK 2013

Hi There,
 Forgive the comment, but whilst you're spot on that public ENUM didn't get anywhere, IMHO the problem was not with indifferent customers but with Telcos.

Generally, whilst some folk wanted public ENUM to fly (including Her Maj's Government), a number of the providers were less "helpful". Some ITSPA members had their own competing scheme, and certain major Telcos in the UK sure as tooting did not want public ENUM (i.e., user controlled targeting) happening any time soon -- like before the heat death of the universe. Those interminable inter-carrier meetings with the government were a fine preparation for purgatory.
Basically, the original idea (it's your number, you control it, the telco delivers the call to where you want) was not just buried but sealed in neutronium.

The problems were never technical, and ENUM lives quite happily inside big operator networks in the USA -- I believe Comcast uses it for its calls (so avoiding number dips and long distance transit, and saving shed loads of money).
At least one VoIP provider over here (Sipgate) DID support public ENUM (i.e., E2U+sip NAPTRs in e164.arpa.), and as expected, it just worked.

I wish you all the best with duane's system -- it IS neat (and e164.org avoids the regulators and telcos), and as long as you're doing something simple that doesn't involve charges and tariffing, it'll work fine. Redirecting to a premium rate number is, however, not going to happen :).

all the best,
  Lawrence