[Freeswitch-users] Removing echo.

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Mar 19 03:18:03 MSK 2013

On 03/19/2013 05:53 AM, Mimiko wrote:
> Today we tried ooVoo conference system with theirs client using same
> boxes and microphones - again, no echo. How this can be? Is it only
> commercial products have echo removing function?

If you use a headset for a soft phone you need echo control for really
good results. If you use a mic and speaker for a soft phone you need
echo control for any kind of usable results. Echo cancellation is a pain
to implement on a PC, as the mic and speaker sample rates are not quite
identical. That makes the engineering hard, and few people have tackled
it. Obviously people like Skype have had to find and pay people who can
do the job, or they have no potential to become a large scale enterprise.

Most soft phones have been put together by people who thinks they can
design a nice UI, and who thinks that is the heart of the problem. Then
they discover you need some real engineering to make a good soft phone,
and that is beyond them. Thus, we see lots of pretty, but largely
useless, open source soft phones. The sad thing is some signal engineers
have approached this from the other end, and built a fairly well
engineered soft phone with a very poor UI. People rarely look at those,
because they aren't pretty.

Regards,
Steve