[Freeswitch-users] SaltStack + deployment techniques

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] cal.leeming at simplicitymedialtd.co.uk
Fri Mar 15 23:21:10 MSK 2013

Just taken another look at the gist you posted.

The approach used there is using saltstack as a persistent build system,
where it performs a source install. This isn't the cleanest way to do
things, firstly because it requires building on production machines, and
second because anything other than a package install is not a great idea
when using these sorts of systems. Instead you should be installing as a
system package (either from an existing mirror, or a local mirror).

The salt states we've created are specific to our deployment, it uses a
single custom built Debian package [1] . In our instance, we have three
different types of FS deployment - MS/MG/SBC. Each one of those `require`
the above, and then we copy in an XML configuration to the freeswitch conf
dir. However because we're using mod_xml_curl, we literally only need one
or two files copied in, the rest is taken care of by mod_xml_curl. For that
reason alone, any salt examples I provided would be completely incompatible.

Ideally what someone needs to do is build a Salt state dir which reflects
the original Debian packages created by the FS build system. Given the
multiple ways that FS can be configured, I don't think it would be worth
attempting to provide pre-written templates for it. Instead, just a basic
example which can be extended off would be sufficient. If enough people
show interest for this, I might be able to find time to do this (though I'm
already behind on various other FS contributions :/ )

Cal

[1] https://github.com/foxx/freeswitch-debian

>>> http://wiki.freeswitch.org