[Freeswitch-users] Monitoring Phone Endpoint Deregistration/Losing Connection

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Fri Mar 1 04:08:37 MSK 2013

Avi,

Thanks for digging into this. I suspect that it is really a thankless task.
First thing I'd suggest is that you get FS running on a laptop or some old
sandbox system and put just a single phone on it so that you can more
easily focus on the relevant events. Second, if you just unplug a phone
then there's no way it can send an "unregister" REGISTER message. (I
believe that an "unregister" is really just a REGISTER with expires time of
zero.)

I would have suspected that mark-dead-on-options-fail would have kicked in
when the unplugged phone didn't respond. Without the detailed event logs it
will be difficult to see what's going on, hence the recommendation for a
simple test server.

If anyone else has been through this exercise we'd appreciate hearing from
them.

-MC

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Avi Marcus <avi at avimarcus.net> wrote:

> My testing was disappointing...
> My script didn't catch any sofia::unregister events. It caught
> sofia::register, pre_register so it seems to  be listening properly.
>
> Also, I'm pretty sure all-reg-options-ping was pinging, and I had
> mark-dead-on-options-fail  set, but I didn't see anything different when
> looking at the REG list after unplugging an endpoint. I would imagine there
> should be an event there, but I don't know what it's called and it's really
> hard to find a lone event on a busy switch...
>
> Are these bugs? Or am I just missing something about how this works?
>
> -Avi Marcus
>

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:14 AM, Avi Marcus <avi at avimarcus.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to monitor if my user's sip phones are disconnected, to let me
>> know there might be a problem in advance.
>>
>> I see there's a CUSTOM event called sofia::unregister. I presume that
>> triggers whenever a phone doesn't re-register in enough time.
>>
>> However, with default registation of 60 minutes (or even 10) I'd like
>> more granularity.
>>
>> I have the endpoints pinging FS, but I don't see an event or that
>> information stored anywhere.
>>
>> How about setting nat-options-ping (or better, all-reg-options-ping since
>> most NATed endpoint don't actually self-identify).
>> Do I get an event if that fails?
>> I see unregister-on-options-fail but that seemed too aggressive when I
>> tried that in the past.
>>
>> What exactly does the less sever mark-dead-on-options-fail do? Does it
>> remove it from the user/$NUMBER endpoint?
>> Does it trigger an event for me?
>>
>> Other suggestions?
>>
>> -Avi

> http://wiki.freeswitch.org