[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH crashed on signal 11

Daniel Knaggs Daniel.Knaggs at realitysolutions.co.uk
Fri Jun 14 16:29:44 MSD 2013

Ashish,

What version of FreeBSD are you using?  If you're using FreeBSD 9.0 you will need to apply a patch to the threading for the kernel otherwise you can get signal 11 core dumps.  If you need it, I'll send it - this issue doesn't affect <= 8.3 (as far as I'm aware) or >= 9.1 (I can confirm it's fine for 9.1).  This issue can affect other processes as well so it's best to apply it.  If that isn't the case it could be faulty memory, usually compiling a few ports will lead to failures if it's bad memory though.  Both of these happened to us recently!

According to FreshPorts, FreeSwitch is version 1.0.6 (http://www.freshports.org/net/freeswitch-core/).  I highly advise you don't use the one in the ports, but instead build it from source via GIT and install the dependencies via the ports (after a "portsnap fetch update").  Again, I can send you the ports needed to install to build it.  Perhaps I should create a FreeBSD specific wiki for how to install FreeSwitch?  The one on there now isn't very good.  Could also include the kernel patch...

FreeSwitch works perfectly under FreeBSD and I also have it running under a non-root account in a production environment.

P.S.  I apologise in advance for my signature which is required by our company policy in this e-mail.  I've converted to plain-text to try and help.