[Freeswitch-users] G.729 transcoder licensing

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 14:34:59 MSD 2013

> If we want to just have a play with G.729, can we buy just a couple of

channels and then add to them later?

Yes

Presumably it stops offering G.729 when they're all in use?

If the channel picks G729 then finds there's no license available when (if)
it goes to transcode the call will fail and hang up.

The other question is how does the G.729 licence bind itself to a

system? Is this a hardware ID thing, or a Freeswitch ID? Does it work on

VMs?

It locks itself to the MAC addresses of the ethernet interfaces of your
server.

You buy a license then run a program to activate it on your server, that
activation reads the MAC addresses and binds the license to them. That
means you must run that activation on the server you plan to use it on.
Internet access is required both to activate the license and when starting
FS so it can verify the licenses.

It should work in a VM, but there are other considerations to running FS
within a VM. The CPU time becomes unreliable (host and other guests can
unpredictable steal the CPU away) which means audio quality can suffer.

-Steve