[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch not correctly terminating dialog with BYE for T.38 invite

Ken Rice krice at freeswitch.org
Thu Jul 25 20:52:01 MSD 2013

The 408 is terminating the dialog .... Its a 400 error response to the
INVITE......

BYE is used after the session is established...

Example

UAC -> INVITE        -> UAS
UAC <- 100 TRYING    <- UAS
UAC <- 404 NOT FOUND <- UAS
UAC -> ACK           -> UAC

Note this is a complete transaction and there is No Bye here... The 404
tells the UAC that we¹re at the end of the call...

When the provider sends FS a 408, this is telling FS sorry we¹re giving up
because the terminating end isnt responding...

On 7/25/13 9:59 AM, "Bruce Lefko" <blefko5361 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> We have a situation, primarily with specific numbers, where freeswitch
> executes a T.38 INVITE and our SIP provider is responding with a 408 Request
> Timeout, and Freeswitch responds with an ACK.
>
> However, no BYE is sent and our SIP provider thinks the call is still active,
> and ends up billing us for a lot of dead air.  Thankfully they have a timeout
> and stop billing us after 6 hours, but its still costing us a lot of money.
>
> The error Freeswitch is giving us in the cdr for this call
> is: RECOVERY_ON_TIMER_EXPIRE
>
> We've used the latest code from git as well as 1.2, and the issue persists.
>
> Furthermore, the SIP provider claims this is not correctly following the
> RFC:If the response for a request within a dialog is a 481
> (Call/Transaction Does Not Exist) or a 408 (Request Timeout), the UAC
> SHOULD terminate the dialog. A UAC SHOULD also terminate a dialog if
> no response at all is received for the request (the client
> transaction would inform the TU about the timeout.)
>
> For INVITE initiated dialogs, terminating the dialog consists of
> sending a BYE.
>
> Thanks!

> http://wiki.freeswitch.org

Ken