[Freeswitch-users] Debian or Ubuntu

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Wed Jul 24 07:12:09 MSD 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 2:56 AM, Richard Mace <richard.mace at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am getting the feeling that the majority of people on the list are using
> Debian over Ubuntu for their freeSWITCH boxen, and whilst I understand it to
> a certain extenent (speed)

I doubt one is much faster than the other (assuming you pick the same
kernel timer and file systems from equally modern versions).

> I was just wondering, if this was the case, why
> people would choose Debian over Ubuntu (LTS) as the life of the distro will
> be significantly longer with Ubuntu? (5 years)

The debian people might hate me for this, but I'd say they're pretty
close cousins. I don't think it matters much, one way or the other.

I happen to use Ubuntu LTS for all of my server stuff. Even if we can
update it for a full 5 years, we always update our stack to pull in
the latest LTS when it's available.

Also, we all run Ubuntu on the desktop, so we like that we have the
same env on the server.

So, I didn't answer your question, but there is just one more opinion.

Best,
Gabe