[Freeswitch-users] Debian or Ubuntu

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] cal.leeming at simplicitymedialtd.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 04:25:35 MSD 2013

Hi Richard,

Although Ubuntu has a lot of 'cool' features, I personally dislike using it
for server deployments. For example, their init.d services replacement is
not very friendly and often causes problems, and it often wants to force
you into doing things the "ubuntu way". The PPAs are quite nice but running
your own private PPA deployment is a PITA. Ubuntu has more up to date
packages, but this is of little benefit. I use Ubuntu for a development
workstation (along with i3wm), but I would prefer using Debian stable over
Ubuntu. Others may disagree entirely with me.

It really comes down to personal preference, and which one you get along
with the most.

My background: 8 years Debian user.. spent the last 2 months trialing
Ubuntu server for prod deployments.

Hope this helps

Cal