[Freeswitch-users] RTP NAT problem in Freeswitch 1.2.3

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 23:01:58 MSD 2013

> Basically when softphone makes an INVITE to FS it always sends the private
> IP on the SDP and when the media flow starts it's being sent out by FS to
> the public lan address resulting on a audioless call. However if the phone
> sends the public IP on the SDP there's no issue at all.

I know there's a variable available  disable_rtp_auto_adjust that shoud
> make freeswitch ignore the SDP IP and use the INVITE IP instead, but it
> isn't working for me.

The phone needs to send the external IP:port in its SDP, not its internal
one. That can be done easily if the phone supports STUN. Ditto for the
Contact header.

Otherwise you'll have to resort to FreeSWITCH's workarounds. For the
Contact header use
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/NDLB#NDLB-connectile-dysfunction, but that
only covers the SIP signalling.

For SDP the only workaround is rtp auto adjust. Note you want it enabled,
ie disable_rtp_auto_adjust=false.

FS cannot autoadjust until it receives media from the phone so it knows
where to send back to. That means you will not hear any ringback, and won't
hear anything until shortly after the call is answered (the softphone won't
send media until then).

The best fix is to enable STUN on the phone.

-Steve