[Freeswitch-users] Caller-ID variables and another Caller-ID question

Steven Schoch schoch+freeswitch.org at xwin32.com
Thu Jan 24 02:19:12 MSK 2013

There are several caller-ID variables defined in the wiki, and I'm trying
to understand the difference:

caller_id_number, caller_id_name,
origination_caller_id_number, origination_caller_id_name,
effective_caller_id_number, effective_caller_id_name,
outbound_caller_id_number, outbound_caller_id_name,

If I understand correctly, caller_id_number and caller_id_name are
read-only  variables that contain the caller-ID from an incoming call.

I don't understand origination_caller_id_number.  It says it sets it for
LEG A, but I don't understand LEG A.

What's the difference between origination_caller_id_number and
effective_caller_id_number?

As near as I can tell, the outbound_caller_id_number variable is not used
by any module, but is mainly used to send information from a directory
entry to an outbound dialplan.  Do I have that right?

In the dialplan, it seems the right way is to do this:

<action application="set"
data="effective_caller_id_name=${outbound_caller_id_name}"/>

Does this require me to set outbound_caller_id_name in *all* my directory
entries?  What if it's missing in one.  Can I have it use a default?

The next question is about the outgoing Caller-ID Name.  From the SIP
trace, I see the name is set both in the "From:" line and the
"Remote-Party-ID:" line, in quotes ("").  However, the name does not appear
on the caller-ID box of the POTS line.  It seems the phone company (AT&T)
is getting the name from a CNAM lookup.  Is this something I can change, or
is it just not sent in the path between Flowroute and AT&T?

--
Steve