[Freeswitch-users] FAX problems

Steven Schoch schoch+freeswitch.org at xwin32.com
Wed Jan 16 03:39:15 MSK 2013

My whole plan here is to replace the phone system currently in the office
(a NexPath system, a really nice PC-chassis pbx system from the 1990's) to
a more modern VoIP system, and git rid of all our POTS lines.  But I need a
simple solution for the users who send FAXes from their Windows systems.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Dave R. Kompel <drk at drkngs.net> wrote:

> **
> It seems that you may be debugging way too many things at once. Do you
> know much about the FAXBACK.COM internals?

Yes, that's probably correct.  No, I don't know much about faxback.com.

However, I just tried a different one, www.t38faxvoip.com.  It's a much
more involved Windows installation, but it came up with the same symptoms.
 This is leading me to believe that the problem is more likely my FS
configuration.

Just for a test you know you can bypass it. FreeSWITCH will work just fine
> on a windows box, using the FAXModem stuff, and com0com driver.

That's not my objective.  I'm still early in the learning process for
FreeSwitch, and I'd like to keep it to one installation, on an OS that I
can understand (Linux).

That's what I use to have the M$ fax service talk to, and it works great.
> No hardware, and FS doing T38 right out of the Fax Service Server.

Let me see if I understand:  MS Fax is talking through a virtual serial
cable (com0com) to what it thinks is a FAX modem.  On the other side of
that virtual serial cable is something that takes the serial FAX data,
translates it to T38, and injects it into FS.  I'm a little unclear on the
last 2 pieces, because it still sounds like a black box to me.  What's "Fax
Service Server"?

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Michael Collins <msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:

> Also, are you routing the call to the txfax app?

I'm not.  I assumed that the purpose of txfax is to encode a TIFF file into
a T.38 stream, and my source is already T.38.  Am I missing something?

--
Steve