[Freeswitch-users] FAX problems

Steven Schoch schoch+freeswitch.org at xwin32.com
Tue Jan 15 20:58:28 MSK 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Michael Collins <msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:

> What does the FS log say? You should have some mod_spandsp log lines in
> there that mention what's going on with the fax attempt. Also, are you
> routing the call to the txfax app? Just curious how the fax call gets
> connected in the first place.

The call is being routed *from* the  Microsoft FAX plug in.  The routing
works like this:

1. FAX is initiated with Microsoft FAX on Windows
2. It goes through the faxback.com plug-in on the same machine.
3. The plug-in is configured to make a SIP connection to the FS pbx.
4. The FS pbx routes the call to the PSTN through sip.flowroute.com.
5. The call is received by a POTS line, connected to a modem.
6. The modem is connected with a serial line to a Linux machine.
7. The Linux machine runs Hylafax (www.hylafax.org).

Steps 4-5 work for voice calls, using Polycom phones.
Steps 5-7 work for other FAX calls, received often.

The log for the faxback.com plug-in is at
http://pastebin.freeswitch.org/20448.
The FS log is at http://pastebin.freeswitch.org/20449.
The Hylafax log is at http://pastebin.freeswitch.org/20450.

New info:  I put a test set on the PSTN fax line.  (Yes, I'm old school
telephony.)  I hear the fax modem giving the normal terminating fax
pre-message signal, and the originating fax sending the normal CNG tones.
 However, these tones don't stop.  It's like the originating fax can't hear
the pre-message signal from the fax modem.

--
Steve