[Freeswitch-users] Loopback Endpoint

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 03:12:14 MSK 2013

> The current description on that page seems a bit off the mark:
> "Possible to 'bridge' to other extension on same server"
> I mean, FreeSWITCH can do that right out of the box between extensions 1000-1019 so loopback wouldn't even be needed for that operation.

That refers to dialplan extensions, not user extensions. Yes there is confusion there in terminology since there are two very different types of extension - dialplan vs registration.

Transfer and execute_extension can also be used to execute another extension, but there are differences in how that's done which means each solves different use-cases.

> As I understand it, loopback provides a temporary place-holder to terminate a call until it can be disposed of to a "real" endpoint such as voicemail or a B-leg. Is this correct?

You get a full outgoing and incoming channel where FS calls out and back into itself. The new incoming channel is then handled just like any other call. That's where the evilness comes in... it uses a lot more resources than might be needed by other approaches, and every channel gets its own CDR so that can screw up your CDR/billing system unless you handle it correctly.

Once the call is bridged FS can unroll the loops to simplify the call handling and resources consumed.

Steve