[Freeswitch-users] Debugging question - silent intialization errors

Phil Quesinberry philq at qsystemsengineering.com
Sat Jan 12 20:02:53 MSK 2013

This is probably a dumb question but (surprisingly) I really hadn't run
across this problem before and want to make sure I'm prepared to quickly
deal with it in the future as I'm certain that it will happen again.

I was making some edits to the XML dialplan and screwed up the syntax a bit.
Fortunately I had done a reloadxml and saw the "error near line xxxx"
message, so I knew where to look in the .fsxml file to find the error and
fixed it.  Problem is, when you do a 'service freeswitch start' in Linux you
don't get this message, FS never finishes starting up so you can't get into
the CLI to see what's going on, and it doesn't show anything in the log
file.  The only feedback you get is with a 'service freeswitch status' which
gives the 'freeswitch dead but subsys locked' message.

Is there a startup option to get it to show initialization errors?  Can I do
something like ./freeswitch in the bin directory and get it to send any
initialization errors to stdout or some other file that way?

As always, many grateful thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Phil Quesinberry
Q Systems Engineering, Inc.
Electronic Controls and Embedded Systems Development
(410) 969-8002
http://www.qsystemsengineering.com