[Freeswitch-users] SIP packet exceeds MTU?

Joegen Baclor jbaclor at ezuce.com
Thu Jan 10 21:01:19 MSK 2013

You don't have to agree to switch.  The specs says you should

18.1.1 Sending Requests

If a request is within 200 bytes of the path MTU, or if it is larger
    than 1300 bytes and the path MTU is unknown, the request MUST be sent
    using an RFC 2914 [43] congestion controlled transport protocol, such
    as TCP.

On 01/10/2013 12:53 AM, Tim St. Pierre wrote:
> Yes, I suppose I CAN switch to TCP, but I don't WANT to switch to TCP.
>
> My main gripe with TCP is that it holds a socket open for every registered endpoint.  If I
> have to restart a profile, I have to leave it down for several minutes until all the
> sockets close before I can start it up again.
>
> I don't suppose there is a way to disable the <local> and <remote> tags in the body?
>
> Thanks!
>

> Ken Rice wrote:
>> Switch to TCP... This is why the RFCs tell you to support both UDP and TCP
>> for SIP...
>>

>> On 1/9/13 9:36 AM, "Tim St. Pierre" <fs-list at communicatefreely.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm having a problem with BLF in some cases, and I found that the length of
>>> the username
>>> was a factor in whether the lamps worked or not.
>>>
>>> When I did some packet captures, I found that problem packets were 1500 bytes
>>> or so.
>>> Since the endpoint is on a DSL line that has an MTU of 1460, the packet
>>> doesn't fit.
>>>
>>> I'm already using compressed headers.  Is there a way to reduce the packet
>>> size more, or
>>> is there another solution?  I will include an example below:  Note that my IP
>>> address and
>>> domain substutions may change the packet size a little, but the point is the
>>> same.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> NOTIFY sip:XXXX at YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY:5060;transport=udp SIP/2.0
>>> v:SIP/2.0/UDP zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz:5070;rport;branch=z9hG4bKD5QUr5m2Fm3Dp
>>> Route:<sip:aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa:61906>;transport=udp
>>> Max-Forwards:70
>>> f:<sip:accountcode-701 at ourdomain.com>;tag=TrmHE4FBIrB4
>>> t:"Tim St. Pierre"<sip:XXXX at ourdomain.com>;tag=ecc2498bfd
>>> i:3decd12decccafe1
>>> CSeq:448376002 NOTIFY
>>> m:<sip:accountcode-701 at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5070;transport=udp;fs_nat=yes;fs_path=s
>>> ip:yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:61906%3Btransport%3Dudp>
>>> User-Agent:Communicate Freely 2.0
>>> Allow:INVITE,ACK,BYE,CANCEL,OPTIONS,MESSAGE,INFO,UPDATE,REGISTER,REFER,NOTIFY,
>>> PUBLISH,SUBSCRIBE
>>> k:timer,precondition,path,replaces
>>> o:dialog
>>> u:talk,hold,conference,presence,dialog,line-seize,call-info,sla,include-sessio
>>> n-description,presence.winfo,message-summary,refer
>>> Subscription-State:active;expires=1137
>>> c:application/dialog-info+xml

>>> http://wiki.freeswitch.org