[Freeswitch-users] Best practices question about SIP registration

Steven Schoch schoch+freeswitch.org at xwin32.com
Wed Jan 9 00:05:30 MSK 2013

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Tim St. Pierre <
fs-list at communicatefreely.net> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> I would recommend using a proper domain name as much as possible.  For
> one, it looks
> nicer!  A SIP URI is supposed to be user at domain like an e-mail address
> is, and I hope that
> one day URI dialing will be common place, so we might as well do it right
> the first time.

What you're saying is that "domain" should really be a fully-qualified host
name that points via DNS to the actual host on which FreeSwitch is running.
 That is, the domain should be "pbx.example.com" instead of just "
example.com", as the last example would most likely point to a web server,
not the SIP server.  Do I have that right?

Next, in the configuration for Polycom phones (for example), there are 2
fields that both have the userid.  In the example in
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Polycom_configuration it has:

reg.1.auth.userId="1000"

and

reg.1.address="1000 at fs.domain.local"

How is the "address" value used?  Is that sent in the SIP registration
message?  If that's the case, what does Freeswitch do with it?

--
Steve