[Freeswitch-users] FAX problems

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Tue Feb 12 03:00:32 MSK 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Steven Schoch <
schoch+freeswitch.org at xwin32.com> wrote:

> It turns out I was too optimistic.  It works *sometimes*.  It makes a
> successful FAX transmission only about 20% of the time.  Usually it fails.
>  A typical failure is in http://pastebin.freeswitch.org/20570
>
> This is HylaFax running on the Freeswitch machine, using the SpanDSP
> modems.  I'm calling a FAX number that's an analog PSTN line.  Can anybody
> tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Wanting to use faxes? ;) Sorry, as a fax hater I couldn't resist.

Question: do you have the capture of a successful call? Can you get
pcaps/siptrace of failed vs. successful and open them in Wireshark and do a
comparison? I didn't see anything in the FS console log that suggested what
the error might be, although if you compare that to a working fax then
maybe that will yield a clue as to where to look next. Same w/ the SIP
trace.

-MC

> --
> Steve
>
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Steven Schoch <
> schoch+freeswitch.org at xwin32.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 4:53 AM, shouldbe q931 <shouldbeq931 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> As a replacement for the faxback plugin.
>>>
>>> how about using hylafax+ with t38modem ? http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> or the commercial "fork" from iFax ?
>>> http://www.ifax.com/products/hylafax/fax-over-ip.html
>>>

>> I am happy to report that I have (partial) success!  I used HylaFSP
>> (commercial HylaFAX Windows client) to send a FAX to HylaFAX running on the
>> FS machine, connecting to /dev/FS0.
>>
>> The FAX wasn't received 100%, because it didn't go through the T.38
>> gateway, and the Caller-ID didn't get set, so that's what I'd like to fix
>> next.
>>
>> I already have this rule in the outgoing dialplan:
>>
>>     <condition field="${fax_call}" expression="^true$" break="never">
>>       <action application="set" data="fax_enable_t38=true"/>
>>       <action application="set" data="execute_on_answer=t38_gateway
>> peer"/>
>>     </condition>
>>
>> I set the $fax_call variable (and the $outbound_caller_id_number
>> variable) in the directory entry that's used by the ATA that the analog FAX
>> machine uses.
>>
>> What I want to do now is set the same variables on channels opened by the
>> /dev/FS0 modem.  Where should I put these variables?
>>
>> --
>> Steve

> http://wiki.freeswitch.org

Michael S Collins