[Freeswitch-users] New JavaScript module using Google V8!

Peter Olsson peter at olssononline.se
Tue Dec 31 14:43:51 MSK 2013

Hello everyone, and Happy New Year!

I've been testing out some Google V8 embedding at home, and since I was at
it I decided to try to port mod_spidermonkey to use Google V8 instead. A
few years back this wasn't possible, since V8 wasn't thread safe - but this
has changed, and it works as expected using isolates and lockers inside.

RIght now I've ported everything to work as before, but using Google V8
instead of SpiderMonkey. I've tested some basic stuff, and it seems ok so
far - but I do have quite some more testing I need to do. Also, the build
system is not really completed yet, so some manual work is needed to
compile everything. I've developed it on Windows, but it should be able to
compile on Linux without any major issues (I will try that pretty soon as
well).

I'm guessing this would make JavaScript to be a little more efficient than
today, however, I didn't really do any performance testing yet. Even though
Lua is the recommended scripting language in FS, I think JS always will
have quite some users, since it's more widely spread.

One thing though, is that it currently lacks support for the "File" and
"XML" object that is currently compiled in when you use mod_spidermonkey -
besides that everything else should be the same.

Is this project of interest for the FS community? For me this was just a
way to get to use V8 in an environment I already knew, so as soon as I'm
getting it a bit more complete (with a working build system at least) I'd
be happy to give away the code - and hopefully replace mod_spidermonkey in
the future.

/Peter