[Freeswitch-users] OpenWRT Router changes public IP to it's private IP

Paul pasha at prosperity4ever.com
Sat Aug 10 04:56:23 MSD 2013

Hi Brian,

Typically what happens is your external source sends the packet to your
external IP (which is the WAN ip of the openWRT router), the router
receives it, and if there are NAT rules defined, it will rewrite the
source (in the DNAT case) to the internal IP of your FS (or webserver,
etc), you can have it do it based on port it comes in on, ip it comes
from, etc. It also should do the same on the way out of your network so
that the 2 devices can have a bi-directional communication.

If your SIP packets on FS are coming with the source as 10.0.0.1 (your
router's internal interface) it sounds to me like your NAT isn't
configured right. Double check all of your NAT re-write rules.

I did this over an openVPN setup (haven't done it from WAN -> LAN on
openWRT, but in the openWRT example I remember it being quite simple,
you didn't have to write all the rules manually, you just had to enable
masquerading on the proper zones and it took care of NAT.

I think you would have to write it manually in your case because it
sounds like you're looking to route different traffic coming in to the
same IP to different internal systems depending on what port they come
in on.

Try something along the lines
of: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=35106

Not sure if I'm helping or confusing you more :)

Paul