[Freeswitch-users] best way to receive FAXs

Steven Schoch schoch+freeswitch.org at xwin32.com
Sat Aug 3 01:43:25 MSD 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Karl Schmidt <karl at xtronics.com> wrote:

> What I have works, but I would like to get rid
> of the POTS phone-line.

When we switched to VoIP with FreeSWITCH here, we made a decision to keep
one POTS line as a backup. We got the cheapest service we could find (from
AT&T). We get value for our money because we use it as:

   1. Our incoming FAX line (using HylaFAX with a Best Data Smart One 56SK
   modem from the late 1990's that has worked perfectly for years);
   2. A backup DSL line, plugged into a dual-WAN router. (Our primary
   Internet is Comcast.)
   3. A POTS line for our alarm system, as highly recommended by our
   security company; and
   4. A backup phone line, in case a power failure is longer than the UPS
   run time. (This happened during the California electricity crisis of 2000
   and 2001.)

We can keep the cost low because other than the alarm system calling a
toll-free number, no outgoing calls are made from this line.

--
Steve