[Freeswitch-users] RedHat 6.X Performance

Michael Giagnocavo mgg at giagnocavo.net
Sat Sep 15 02:48:37 MSD 2012

I found someone with more info on scheduling problems, especially with sleep/wait, of which FS does a lot. There's a parameter called sched_migration_cost which might be worth investigating.

http://pastebin.freeswitch.com/19903

On a benchmark for sleeps, he says RHEL6 is taking up to 45% more time. With the huge number of threads and sleeps FS does, maybe those little differences add up:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/37391/high-cpu-usage-with-cfs

Separately, to everyone that hasn't rebooted their server in the last few months, you may still have the leap-second set which will cause lots of CPU spinning due to a kernel bug. Running date -s "`date`" should fix that. I am pretty sure that freed up at least one core on one of our boxes that was still spinning since Jul 1.

We've now upgraded some systems to CentOS 6.3 (with all post release updates) and left others at 6.2. Over the next week we'll see if they seem to be much different. At the moment, the general CPU usage seems to be similar; we'll have to pound some dialer on it and see what happens.

-Michael