[Freeswitch-users] More information on FreeSwitch

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Fri Sep 7 23:45:18 MSD 2012

> I bought the original FreeSwitch book in addition to the cookbook and while
> it is an excellent text with a lot of good information contained therein,
> there's still some info that's not in there that I'd like to see.  For
> instance, I'm still left with questions about FS' capabilities and behavior
> with NAT handling in certain scenarios and that info doesn't appear to be
> very well covered anywhere that I've been able to find - probably due to
> the
> fact that FS is still a work in progress.  Not many people seem to truly
> understand the details of FS' NAT functionality, so unless you're lucky and
> one of the developers who truly understands it has the time to answer your
> question, you'll have to wade through the code and experiment (which isn't
> always a bad thing, another one of the many advantages of open source) but
> that can be quite time-consuming.

This is one reason we are doing a second edition to the "bridge book." We
are planning on having an entire chapter dedicated just to handling NAT.

> I was surprised to find that the full original FS book is floating around
> the 'Net in PDF form, not sure that the authors or the publisher would be
> particularly happy about that.  If any of the AUTHORS want the link(s),
> contact me and I'll give the info I have to you.  If your name doesn't
> appear on the cover of the FS book however, don't ask me for any links.
> :)
>
> As one of the co-authors I can honestly say that I'm not the least
concerned about copies of the book floating around. (Disclaimer: I speak
only for my self, not for the publisher or my fellow authors.) True fans of
the FreeSWITCH project will purchase the book regardless of whether or not
it is available for "free" online. Time and energy spent "fighting piracy"
is time and energy not spent making the 2e book even better. </soapbox>

Thanks for the info and feedback!

--
Michael S Collins
Twitter: @mercutioviz