[Freeswitch-users] Question re. load balancing and web-based interface

Caresolutions binni at caresolutions.dk
Tue Oct 30 09:34:49 MSK 2012

Hello all

I'm new on this list and rather green when it comes to IP telephony in
general. During the last year or so I have been managing an existing setup
with an Asterisk 1.4 server and a web-based user interface. The user
interface is geared towards small medical clinics (typically 2 - 10 users in
each) and we currently have in the region of 20 clinics. This setup has been
running for 4 years or so.

My employees want to expand our client base into the thousands based on the
interface which has a lot of functionality. My problem is that our current
setup does not allow for load-balancing of the Asterisk server since all the
code is written based on the assumption that there is only one server. Our
current short-term plan is simply to duplicate the setup if the load on our
current Asterisk server gets too big. That way some of our clients would use
setup A, others would use setup B etc. This is obviously not optimal and
doesn't really give a decent level of fault tolerance.

Our web interface allows users to create and manage voice messages, menus,
queues, to transfer calls, view callers in queue etc. All sound files can be
created through the web interface by utilising the user's phone.

Rewriting the code behind the user interface so that it can talk to more
than one telephony server in a load-balancing setup is presumably the way to
go. This can be done using Asterisk, and I presume, also using FreeSWITCH.
But which would be easier? The Asterisk solution would require quite a lot
of coding.

The problems I can foresee is mostly managing queues and the location of
user-created sound files. My preferred solution would be a collection of
load-balancing IP servers that presented a unified interface for me to
program against, but that may not be possible?

I am very much intrigued by the claims FreeSWITCH makes regarding
performance, load balancing and fault tolerance. Using XML or writing code
is no problem, but obviously I want the best solution with minimum coding
effort J

I'd love to hear what opinions and pointers you could give me, thanks in
advance

Binni

Care Solutions

Brettevillesgade 14