[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch retries same call 4 times for no reason - incorrect treatment of timers by mod sofia?

Victor Chukalovskiy victor.chukalovskiy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 20:30:37 MSK 2012

Hello,

Looking for help or comments on this. Reproducible on the FS system that
was updated about a month ago. Call scenario:

SIP call comes in on "a" leg, SIP call is attempted on the "b" leg. "b"
leg replies "404".

Description of the problem:
FS tries same SIP destination 4 times on the "b" leg instead of doing it
once. It does not respond "404" to the "a" leg until it finishes all 4
attempts on the "b" leg. This occurs when "b" leg takes longer than
usual to return "404".  For example, if "b" leg takes 1.3 seconds until
we get "404", FS tries the call on "b" leg 3 more times. When this
happens each consequent call attempt on the "b" leg is exactly 2 seconds
apart from when the previous call attempt ends.

For comparison, in the same scenario and using exact same config, if "b'
leg replies "404" sooner (e.g. within 0.3 seconds) FS does not retry
this call on the "b" leg anymore. "404" is returned to the "a" leg
instantaneously as it should be.

I suspect this is a bug in Sofia such that is somehow related to 500ms
timer.

Is this known behavior? Do you need any more details to be able to
verify or comment?

Thank you,
Victor