[Freeswitch-users] Suggestion to harmonize 'hash' & 'db' insert method

Scott 8f27e956 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 16:26:07 MSK 2012

OK, with the one-time CREATE UNIQUE INDEX on 'table' (
hostname,realm,data_key); stmt in place at the schema-level, a portable
work-a-like of INSERT OR REPLACE stmt is the UPDATE-INSERT (i.e. "UPSERT"
lol) stmt pair that follows,

BEGIN
TRANSACTION;

UPDATE 'table' SET data_value='value_data' WHERE hostname='value_hostname'
AND realm='value_realm' AND data_key='value_data_key' ;
INSERT INTO 'table' (hostname,realm,data_key,data_value) SELECT
'value_hostname', 'value_realm', 'value_data_key', 'value_data_value'
   WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM 'table' WHERE hostname='value_hostname'
AND realm='value_realm' AND data_key='value_data_key' );
COMMIT;

The two WHERE clauses must be identical and the variables should be in the
same order as the unique compound index is ordered.
The UPDATE fails quietly and benignly if the record does NOT already exist
and succeeds if it does.
The INSERT ... WHERE NOT EXISTS stmt succeeds if the record does NOT
already exist fails quietly and benignly if it does.
The BEGIN and COMMIT aren't typically necessary but they're over-safe just
in case the same record is attempted by another thread.

I think this get's it done.

:-)