[Freeswitch-users] Subscribe for MWI

Spencer Thomason spencer at 5ninesolutions.com
Thu May 31 09:59:41 MSD 2012

Hello,
Our setup is as follows:
Kamailio and FreeSWITCH run on the same machine on different ports.  User accounts are managed with a custom Django application and stored in a Postgresql database.  Kamailio handles registrations, auth, and NAT traversal using rtpproxy.  Freeswitch is used for voicemail and CDR accounting.  The cdrs are POSTed back to the local webserver using mod_json_cdr where the Django app performs rating and billing.  We use 4 profiles for FreeSWITCH: Inbound(from PSTN), Outbound(to PSTN), Onnet(user to user), and Media(voicemail).  Kamailio does all the necessary routing to the individual profiles and then we use mod_xml_curl to get the user info to FreeSWITCH for voicemail settings, etc.  We then send the call back to Kamailio for routing either to another user, the PSTN or a failover destination.  The reason for this complexity is so that when we need to scale, each piece can be scaled independently as needed(i.e. web server, database, cdr collection webserver, inbound proxy, outbound proxy, b2bua, and media server.  To more concisely answer your original question, the basics are this:

UAC sends a SUBSCRIBE to FreeSWITCH.
Auth is performed by the proxy and the credentials are then stripped and the message is forwarded to the media profile.
The proxy is authed by ACL.
If the UAC is behind NAT, we replace the Contact header host with the IP of the Proxy so that the NOTIFYs get sent back to the proxy to handle NAT.
FreeSWITCH will then send the NOTIFY to the proxy where we lookup the real contact address from the registration table and forward the packet to that URI.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Spencer