[Freeswitch-users] 2012 VoIP With Virtualization

Thaddeus Hogan thaddeus at thogan.com
Wed May 16 08:33:38 MSD 2012

I have Freeswitch running on a KVM based VM right now, and it doesn't do
too hot. Voicemail, MoH, and IVR prompts are choppy often but call media
proxy (no transcode) works okay, though long calls start to deteriorate
after about 30 minutes.

I haven't tried on Xen since I bailed to KVM to get to a later kernel in
2010 when blktap2 progress was unapparent. However Xen has always been
much better at I/O in my opinion. Rackspace runs Xen for their cloud
servers service, and people on this list seem to report good results
with Freeswitch on Rackspace cloud.

Most recently I have been testing on LXC guests on Ubuntu 12.04. This
has worked out as well as LXC doesn't do any hardware virtualization.
Instead it is a method of isolating execution of processes in different
namespaces and all guests share the host kernel. I have been migrating
all of my KVM guests to LXC, and my Freeswitch install is on the list.
With LXC you can set memory and CPU usage restrictions, so in my
experience provides all the same benefits of full virt minus the ability
to run Windows. OpenVZ is also based on process isolation rather than
hardware virtualization, and would probably have the same benefits over
full virt as LXC with Freeswitch.

-- Thaddeus