[Freeswitch-users] 2012 VoIP With Virtualization

Wesley Akio wesleyakio at tuntscorp.com
Wed May 16 03:02:14 MSD 2012

Sorry for the delay...

For the setup in question:

The hardware:
IBM SystemX 3650.
8 core Xeons, E5*.
48GB RAM
Virtualization is done by VMWare ESXi, mostly 4 or 5.
Network is all Cisco.

3 VM Boxes that reach an average of 400 calls during working hours.
FreesSWITCH there is very old(1.0.6).
4 CPU Cores
2GB
64 bit Centos 5.2
local dialplan XML
no transcoding
xml_cdr
very stable.

Servers have several virtual machines with a lot of different things
running, FSs have priority on hardware resources...

We have some other VM boxes(FS Sep 2011) with less load(270 calls avg) that
do trancoding(25 calls avg g729<->g711), no quality issues but the FS clock
drifts a lot(up to 10 minutes a day), VMware's fault ->
http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/Timekeeping-In-VirtualMachines.pdf
fsctl sync_clock solves the problem but might ruin CDRs so BEWARE!

There are several other VMs in quite a few hardware setups, but none of
them has impressive call volumes...

P.S.: Please don't shout at the age of the installs... they have served us
well! :D.

[ ]s,

Wesley Akio
TuntsCorp.com