[Freeswitch-users] Howto? Migrating from Siemens HiPath4000 to FreeSWITCH

Chris Mylonas chris at opencsta.org
Thu May 10 10:07:29 MSD 2012

Hi Uli

1.  The HP4k will always be ISDN slave - so on the FS side, you'll need to be the timing source i.e. pretend to be the telco from that ISDN port - it should simply be one signalling setting - I'm not familiar with FS ISDN stuff.  On the other port, the German ISDN provider will no doubt be the timing source.
2.  Depending on your indial configuration, but it sounds like you have a good plan.  Setting up FS in front of the HP4k so that those areas that are cabled first can be handled by FS/IP-phones, whilst those that are not can be routed to HP4k.  This is good.
3.  Your experience with linux is handy - security is important.  Keep your phones on a separate (V)LAN to mitigate risks.
4.  Get hardware echo cancellation on the ISDN card, don't try and save $500 by leaving this out - it will be the first thing users complain about if you forego.
5.  The management of your HP4k is costly and cumbersome, with FS or any other F/OSS system, you have a multitude of choices.

Not sure about your QoS ethernet -> fibre -> ethernet query due to lack of experience.
Similarly for ISDN cabling distances, but 50m should not be a problem.    I'm sure there are settings to warn the card/software of how far you are from your next "hop".

Sounds like a really good project!

Good luck!
Chris