[Freeswitch-users] Spandsp mulated modems inbound/no /dev/FS* device?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun May 6 19:20:17 MSD 2012

On 05/06/2012 10:13 PM, Patrick Lists wrote:
> On 06-05-12 14:02, Steve Underwood wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> Its the user ID which is causing your problem. If you just add the following
>> <modem-settings>
>> <param name="total-modems"    value="5"/>
>> </modem-settings>
>> to your configuration you will get five /dev/FS* devices if you run as
>> root, but none if you run as freeswitch. This ought to be fixed. I think
> Could a udev rule with user=... (and group=...) perhaps fix that?
>
>> the device names are a bit questionable, too. Calling the /dev/FS/modem*
>> or even /dev/FS/t31-* might increase flexibility for the future where
>> more device types might be needed.
> +1
Its not the actual pts devices which cause problems. Those are happily
created with any user name that's tried. It is the /dev/FS* links which
won't create unless you are root. I'm not clear how udev can be used to
make those creatable by someone like the freeswitch user. If you create
a directory /dev/FS, make that writable by all, change FS to create the
link as /dev/FS/*, and run as user freeswitch things work OK. However,
/dev/FS is lost on reboot, because of the dynamic nature of /dev.

Steve