[Freeswitch-users] Commercial Fax over T.30 for FreeSWITCH

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri May 4 22:48:56 MSD 2012

On 05/05/2012 01:39 AM, Alex Crow wrote:
> On 04/05/12 17:17, Steve Underwood wrote:
>> On 05/03/2012 08:23 PM, Anita Hall wrote:
>>> Hi Alex
>>>
>>> Thanks for the tip :)
>>>
>>> No, I am running FreeSWITCH on an Ubuntu 64-bit Quad core machine.
>>> There is no VM.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to use Hylafax instead of or in combination to
>>> FreeSWITCH if I am using Sangoma E1 Cards ?
>>>
>>> What all things should I check to ensure that the timing on my system
>>> is good? Like, may be, my motherboard is bad or my kernel could be
>>> tuned better ?
>> Are you really interested in fixing your problems? It seems you have
>> greater interest in tinkering with every possible solution. Many many
>> people handle hundreds of thousands of FAXes per day with low failures
>> rates using:
>>        asterisk + iaxmodem/spandsp + hylafax, or
>>        asterisk + spandsp, or
>>        freeswitch + spandsp
>> and some people are probably now carrying significant traffic with
>> freeswitch + spandsp + hylafax, which is a recent addition to the
>> options. They all work well when set up properly.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Steve,
>
> Forgive me, but to be honest I think that opening sentence is a bit
> harsh. Timing is important for fax, and I think the OP just wants to
> eliminate all the possible causes, which is commendable. I have had
> problems in the past with bad timing in the kernel on Ubuntu (although
> it may not apply here, I was on BRI) and it was a really difficult time
> with lots of complaints from users until I pinned it down.
>
> I think we just need to point out the great capabilities of the Free/OSS
> software that is available. I have been stunned with the quality and
> stability of both FreeSwitch and HylaFAX, and having used the latter for
> more than a decade in a commercial environment cannot fault it. It also
> has great Windows clients such as WHFC, great reporting of fax outcomes
> built-in, and just seems to do its job without ever needing attention
> (We had one box with 5+ years of uptime). Moving to to a new
> softswitch/PBX can be very daunting for a new user, especially one that
> comes from the Asterisk environment (lots of baggage) or one not
> accustomed to telephony in general.

Have you seen what and where she has been posting? She's taking a
scattergun approach, and its getting kind of annoying. She seems to
assume every piece of software around is thoroughly broken, and the fact
people are using it successfully in high volume applications is an
illusion. Nice people get a lot of help from me, if I'm not too busy.
She won't.

Steve