[Freeswitch-users] VM sound very choppy

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Thu Mar 22 19:53:10 MSK 2012

No need to worry about "L16" codec - that's talking about signed linear 16
bit audio, i.e. uncompressed, raw audio. If you're talking directly to
FreeSWITCH, for example when you call voicemail or call an IVR, then the
FreeSWITCH side will definitely be "L16". However, if you are connecting
through to another device, like another telephone, then you'll see codec
negotiation.

Remember: when audio passes through FreeSWITCH it always gets decoded
(unless you're using proxy media, but don't do that) and re-encoded, so
you'll always see references to L16 which is the "decoded" audio. The
primary reason for decoding everything is that FreeSWITCH can then do fun
stuff like eavesdropping, mixing audio, conference calls, etc. You can't
(easily) mix encoded audio.

So... your issue is most likely not with a codec mismatch but rather timing
on the VM. I'll defer to those who know more about VMs and such.

-MC