[Freeswitch-users] TDM400P spans

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 23:41:42 MSK 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Jeromy <fuji246 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm trying to convert from Asterisk to Freeswitch, and have a question
> about
> spans.
> >
> > I read the freetdm configuration example for TDM400
> > and am wondering what exactly is a span.
> >
> > I have 2 TDM400P cards in my computer,
> > one card has 2 FXS modules for connecting analog phones.
> > The other card has 3 FXO modules for connecting to  3 PSTN trunk lines.
> >
> > # lsdahdi
> > ### Span  1: WCTDM/4 "Wildcard TDM400P REV I Board 5"
> >   1 FXS        FXOKS       (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
> >   2 FXS        FXOKS       (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
> >   3 unknown    Reserved
> >   4 unknown    Reserved
> > ### Span  2: WCTDM/4 "Wildcard TDM400P REV I Board 5" (MASTER)
> >   5 FXO        FXSKS       (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
> >   6 FXO        FXSKS       (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
> >   7 FXO        FXSKS       (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
> >   8 unknown    Reserved
> >
> > Do I configure freetdm as in the example for TDM400
> > with separate spans for each module like the following?
> > or should I have just two spans as shown by lsdahsi?
> > Thanks.
> >

> Hi Jeremy
>
>    Do you find the answer to this question?
>
>    I'm also very confuse on the span and channel in both asterisk and
> freeswitch, and I've found little explaination on this.
>
>    "   A span is a logical unit that represents a group of channels.
>        With digital telephony, a span usually represents a physical port
> on the card.
>        If the system has only one such card with a single port, so it is
> referred to
> as span 1. "
>
>    Could anyone help on this?

At the very least you need 2 freetdm span configurations because you cannot
mix FXS and FXO channels in the same FreeTDM logical span.

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/FreeTDM#DAHDI_mode

For the given hardware output, I'd simply create 2 spans, one for all the
fxo channels and one for all the fxs channels.

*Moises Silva
**Manager, Software Engineering***

msilva at sangoma.com

Sangoma Technologies

100 Renfrew Drive, Suite 100, Markham, ON L3R 9R6 Canada

t.   +1 800 388 2475 (N. America)

t.   +1 905 474 1990 x128

f.   +1 905 474 9223

**<http://www.sangoma.com/contact?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email+signatures>