[Freeswitch-users] Blog post about SIP

Kristian Kielhofner kris at kriskinc.com
Tue Jun 19 00:59:04 MSD 2012

Thank you for your comments!

While this is off-topic for FreeSWITCH I'm not sure where else this
conversation could take place.  Apologies in advance to the list
admins - if you want me to take it elsewhere just say so :).

You could probably tell I wasn't exactly sure how to address SIP/UDP
and fragmentation issues.  More than anything it came out of the
various efforts deployed by some implementations to reduce SIP packet
size (omitting rtpmap lines, specifically).  I wanted to explain why
some implementations (FreeSWITCH being one) make attempts to minimize
SIP packet size, even at the expense of overall interoperability
(depending on how you want to look at it).  One could certainly argue
that the UDP -> TCP transition specified in RFC 3261 would lead to
more interop problems than "missing" rtpmap lines.

To answer the question I don't see a lot of UDP fragmentation issues
but then again the majority of my production UDP SIP traffic has
pretty small packet sizes.

Your comment on actively blocking undesired ICE candidate paths with a
firewall is well taken.  I'll add it to the doc!

Re-INVITEs.  Yep.  Remember one of the first rules of the document -
someone, somewhere has broken just about anything and everything.

--
Kristian Kielhofner