[Freeswitch-users] External profile & NAT

ocset ocset at the800group.com
Mon Jun 18 18:06:09 MSD 2012

Hi

I would like to allow a person with a softphone app to register with
Freeswitch (extension 1111) when they are outside the office network.

I would like to to implement this using an external profile. According
to the wiki page (http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/External_profile) I
just need to create a copy of the "conf/sip_profiles/external.xml" file
and change the port number to 5090 (and also open the port on the
modem). When I do a "sofia status", this new gateway does not show up
and to be honest, I don't quite understand how that works and what else
to read to make sense of what to do.

What are the ways in which other Freeswitch admins are granting access
to external devices?

ps. just to confirm, do I set external_rtp_ip and external_sip_ip to the
fix IP address that my ISP has given me - the one that is shown by
www.whatsmyip.org?

Please help
Thanks
O.