[Freeswitch-users] Blog post about SIP

Avi Marcus avi at avimarcus.net
Sun Jun 17 13:43:14 MSD 2012

Great doc!

Some short notes:

*This is broken. Cisco is the most well known vendor to make this mistake.
> These implementations should be fixed to use G729 as the codec name with
> payload type 18.*

Linksys / Sipura SPAs do this, too, I'm pretty sure even before they were
bough by cisco.

*Typically this NAT functionality is referred to as a SIP NAT helper, or
> SIP ALG. Of course there are other names.*

Many routers let you turn off NAT ALG, if you can find it in the menu.

*Latching has several issues:... scalability*

At what point does this seriously become an issue? 100 concurrent calls?
1000? If you're proxying media anyway the IP rewriting sounds pretty
minimal.

More info about NAT, one way media, and how sipsorcery is a SIP proxy that
doesn't ever proxy media but can still set up calls with 2 way media would
be much appreciated.

One other things I'm interested in is the ability to not handle media, for
latency & performance reasons:
What are the pitfalls with FreeSWITCH specifically that makes it not happy
with not handling media?
and.. if I still need FS to handle DTMF what are my options? Do many/most
carriers (on origination) support SIP INFO or something like that? (I run a
calling card with an option to hang up the call)

Thanks for the helpful info!
-Avi