[Freeswitch-users] What's better Unix ro Windows? LOL

Peter Olsson peter.olsson at visionutveckling.se
Thu Jul 26 11:16:32 MSD 2012

I believe the stack size in FS is automatically set to 240k for new threads, even on Windows. However, x64 is of course a much better choice anyway.

/Peter

26 jul 2012 kl. 07:06 skrev "Michael Giagnocavo" <mgg at giagnocavo.net<mailto:mgg at giagnocavo.net>>:

I’ve run FreeSWITCH under Linux and Windows. On Windows, I had no problems sustaining hundreds of calls/sec, over 2000 sessions (without media). And that was in a virtualized (Hyper-V) system with a Q6600 processor; I think about 2 cores were used.

One big caveat for 32-bit FS on Windows. FS is…liberal…when it comes to managing threads. It doesn’t use lightweight threads or continuations, it really just spawns threads left and right. On Windows, the default stack is 1MB, so you can quickly run out of memory addresses on a 32-bit process. So, either run x64 FS, or adjust the stack size.

Unless you’re really getting into high-end performance, then I highly doubt the OS matters. And even then, I haven’t seen any benchmarks showing Linux with much higher performance for FreeSWITCH. The more important stuff is the rest of the stack, like fail2ban, OpenSIPS, iptables versus the not-so-amazing Windows Firewall, etc.

As others have said, definitely go with whatever makes you more comfortable.

-Michael