[Freeswitch-users] Central FreeSWITCH nodes management with Mod_XML_Curl vs Mod_Lua

Eugene Azuka eugeneazuka at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 20:33:56 MSD 2012

Hi FreeSWITCH experts,

My question is as regards performance and which is the best option.

I am trying to scale and manage multiple nodes of FreeSWITCH centrally from
my external web server/site using Mod_XML_Curl, But someone more experience
than me says otherwise that Mod_XML_Curl may not be the best option: Here
is his statement below:

*" The thing I don't like about mod_xml_curl is that to scale it you have
to scale the web server with more listeners. If you run out of listeners
your ability to answer new calls fails. If the web server crashes your
ability to handle calls is gone.*
*
*
*Instead, I use Lua which is embedded into FreeSWITCH as the XML handler.
The Lua reads the info from the database and hands it off to FreeSWITCH.
This approach is not dependent on a service that can fail, or that can run
out of listeners. "*

What do you experts think about this comment above?

Wouldn't Lua reading directly from database still face some of the issues i
may be running from using mod_xml_curl, like database crashing, slow
reading from database?

Unlike using mod_xml_curl whereby i can optimise my code to make use of
memcached or radis to reduce some calls to database, can i still do such
with mod_lua?

So what do experts think, should i go with Mod_Lua approach just as he said
above or should i continue with using Mod_XML_Curl?

You opinion will be appreciated.

Regards

Eugene