[Freeswitch-users] AVMD

Ian Bonham ian.bonham at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 00:29:10 MSD 2012

Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting back to me, this is why I on the whole love the
Linux/FOSS community (most of the time!)

I've actually had a fun afternoon studying more and more about OpenSwitch
and ended up changing my dial logic totally. I now have a PHP script
staying resident, that queries fs_cli every 5 seconds for the number of
active calls. If that number is less than the target number of calls per
agent (in total) I know I need to add some more calls. So the script grabs
a load out the database (based on how many I need to get back to the target
# of calls) and chucks them into FreeSwitch using fs_cli -x and just an
originate. I originate the call and lob it to an extension for that
campaign.

That 'extension' then launches an LUA script for each call which starts a
playback and runs AVMD at the same time. So we start playing the OGM, but
if I hear a beep tone I just hang up as we're wasting money. If a DTMF has
been detected I process that and handle the call accordingly (If they press
9, I go back to the database and add the number to the DNC list, if they
press 5 I look for an agent that has been waiting the longest and bridge
the call to them).

If neither of those conditions is reached I mark the call in the database
for a retry and count how many times we've tried it (unless it's a duff
number, then I mark it as such and the call centre get a report at the end
of the day on dead lines so they can get a refund on the dead numbers in
any particular data set).

It's almost running now, few bugs to stamp on tomorrow, and then I'll run
it with 20 or so 'test' agents tomorrow or Wednesday and see how hard I can
push it. I'm on an 8 core Xeon dedicated server at the moment, so I'll see
how hard I can thrash that and then see about migrating it to AWS maybe.

Thanks to all the FreeSwitch developers, my job is suddenly fun again!

Bon