[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH Weekly News and Notes

Michael Collins marketing at cluecon.com
Mon Jul 9 22:26:54 MSD 2012

Greetings all!

We are back to a full week after taking last Wednesday off. This
week<http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/FS_weekly_2012_07_11?cc12-0709>we
have Dave Kompel scheduled to talk to us on a subject that has been of
much interest in recent weeks: firewall security on Windows deployments of
FreeSWITCH. Many of you know that we have
fail2ban<http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Fail2ban?cc12-0709>available
for Linux/Unix based installs, but what about
Windows <http://xkcd.com/528?cc12-0709>? There are indeed techniques for
Windows systems to update the Windows firewall to prevent things like
the friendly
scanner <http://www.freeswitch.org/node/343?cc12-0709>. Recall: the
friendly scanner is an abuse of a SIP testing tool called
SIPVicious<http://blog.sipvicious.org?cc12-0709>.
People use it for nefarious purposes, so having the ability to lock down
the source IP address on the fly is a powerful technique to employ. We look
forward to this discussion <http://xkcd.com/841/>.

We are happy to report that we have a new GOLD sponsor at ClueCon:
Flowroute<http://www.flowroute.com?cc12-0709>!
The folks at Flowroute have graciously offered to make sure that our
attendees are well taken care of. First, they are supplying the gift bags
that all of our attendees will receive. In those bags will be lots of
goodies from Flowroute and our other
sponsors<http://www.cluecon.com/sponsors?cc12-0709>.
A special item will be a $25 gift card for Flowroute. Additionally,
Flowroute is sponsoring a pizza party on Monday night, August 6 at
Gino's<http://www.ginoseast.com?cc12-0709>in downtown Chicago! We hope
you all will be able to join us.

Only a few more weeks until we're all together again!

--
Michael S Collins
ClueCon Team