[Freeswitch-users] mod_rtmp + Akamai stream push

Jock McKechnie jock.mckechnie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 01:08:29 MSK 2012

Greetings wise(r) FreeSWITCH users;

We've recently started using FreeSWITCH and mod_rtmp to do RTMP -> SIP
media conversion (audio only) and have been utterly delighted by how
easy and (so far) reliable this has been to both set up and run on a
daily basis. One of my superiors has gotten all excited and wonders if
we can use the same mechanism to do a stream push to Akamai for
content delivery amongst many thousands of RTMP clients (think radio
broadcast).

It appears that the FreeSWITCH mod_rtmp module is _not_ capable of
this - it can send a fresh RTMP stream to a registered client, but it
cannot arbitrarily start pushing RTMP to an Akamai EntryPoint. Am I
correct in this assertion, or am I misunderstanding the documentation
(and google hits) available?

My thanks to all;

 - Jock