[Freeswitch-users] Codec Preferance

Bharat Lalcheta bharatlalcheta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 16:18:44 MSK 2012

Hiii,

I am new to freeswitch. Prior to freeswitch i was using asterisk.

I have 200 extensions working in my office and want to move all to
freeswitch from asterisk.

In asterisk, i can give codec selection and preferance in sip.conf to all
extensions. In the same way i created 200 extensions under internal profile
in freeswitch.

Follwing is one example....
<include>
  <user id="590">
    <params>
      <param name="password" value="590"/>
      <param name="vm-password" value=""/>
      <param name="vm-enabled" value="true"/>
      <param name="inbound_codec_prefs" value="PCMA,H264"/>
      <param name="outbound_codec_prefs" value="PCMA,H264"/>
    </params>
    <variables>
      <variable name="accountcode" value=""/>
      <variable name="user_context" value="default"/>
      <variable name="max-calls" value="2"/>
      <variable name="bypass_media_after_bridge" value="no"/>
    </variables>
  </user>
</include>

Now when ever i called to 590 freeswitch sends all codecs to 590 sip phone
other than defined in 590.xml. It is seding codes which is mentioned in my
conf/sip_profiles/internal.xml and codec negotiation done on whatever codec
my sip phone having.

I want to use different codecs for different extensions.

Is it common behaviour of Freeswitch ? Should i override codec prerfrance
in my extension list from my internal profile or not ?

If no, then is it that i have to create 200 profiles in freeswitch to solve
this problem ?

Please guide me and provide solution for the same

Thanks in advance

Bharat Lalcheta