[Freeswitch-users] [newbie] questions

Josh mojo1736 at privatedemail.net
Thu Feb 9 17:09:33 MSK 2012

> Welcome to FreeSWITCH!
Pleasure.

> But calls will be sent to FreeSWITCH by some device, correct? If it's
> good old-fashioned SIP then FreeSWITCH will handle it just fine.
Yes, there are all softphones (PC machines with old-fashioned headset &
mic and smartphones running a sip client).

>     Could this be done relatively easily in FreeSWITCH?
>
> "Relatively?" Of course! It's relatively easy for someone with some
> experience. I highly recommend that you ask consulting at freeswitch.org
> <mailto:consulting at freeswitch.org> for professional assistance if you
> are not comfortable doing this all by yourself.
I'd rather do it by myself. For now though, I'd like to see whether what
I want to achieve is possible in FreeSWITCH. I haven't yet made a
decision what to use though - Asterisk or FreeSWITCH, it will all depend
on whether I could set it up properly and "relatively" easy. Having said
all that, as I developer with quite a bit of experience behind me, I am
not afraid to delve in and get my hands dirty, if needed. I just want to
make sure that what I want in terms of set up and functionality is possible.

> Yes, FreeSWITCH can bind to multiple interfaces. In FreeSWITCH lingo
> that would mean that you set up a separate SIP profile for each
> interface. (In fact, you can have more than one SIP profile on a given
> interface since the profile is a unique combo of IP addr and port number.)
I presume different profiles can "talk" to each other, right? In other
words calls/media can be routed/transferred from one interface to
another (eth1<->tun0 for example)?

> "Some assembly required." :D
> FreeSWITCH can do some stuff for you, but you definitely need to make
> sure that your NAT is not behaving badly, like having a SIP ALG.
This is what I am trying to figure out - do I rely entirely on
FreeSWITCH (if not, what is expected of me to set up so that FreeSWITCH
can do its job?), or do I have to do it all by myself with the kernel
module helpers (sip, h323 etc) and ip/iptables?

> I'll have to defer to Ken Rice on this one. I know he's working on
> RPMs for FreeSWITCH but I think it's all RedHat right now.
RedHat is good, all I need is a decent .spec file - I'll do the rest
myself, no problem.

One thing I seem to have forgotten from my newbie list of questions - I
take it FreeSWITCH can do call-recording (in both directions) right? If
so, how is this stored/implemented (I hope both ends are stored as a
single sound file)? I would like all calls to be recorded as a matter of
policy, so I do need this implemented if I am going to use FreeSWITCH.

Many thanks again.