[Freeswitch-users] Natting question.

Mimiko vbvbrj at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 15:00:09 MSK 2012

On 10.12.2012 22:00, Sean Devoy wrote:
> Hi Mimiko,
>
> I have had hours and hours of problems with NAT, so I can at least tell you
> what helped me get past them.
>
> All of my problems have been in the configuration     PHONE > NAT > Internet
>> FS  .

I've gived up using NAT on FS server. So I put server on public IP,
because if FS is after a firewall then there is too much complexity like
different cases how a phone can connect:

For example, FS firewall is on public ip: IP-PUB1
A phone is registering with this IP-PUB1, but the client can be in
different location:

1) client -> local-net -> FS firewall -> NAT -> FS firewall -> local-net
-> local-ip of FS. Ie, client and FS is on same network, but client uses
FS public natted IP-PUB1.
2) client -> other-local-nat (wifi) -> router -> local-net -> FS
firewall -> NAT -> FS firewall -> local-net -> local-ip of FS. Ie client
is behind router located in same network as FS and is connecting to FS
IP-PUB1. Triple nat.
3) client -> internet -> FS firewall -> local-net -> local-ip of FS.
4) client -> router -> internet -> FS firewall -> local-net -> local-ip
of FS.
5) client -> VPN -> local-net -> FS firewall -> NAT -> FS firewall ->
local-net -> local-ip of FS.

If in all cases except 3 and 5 is using local-ip of FS, then its ok. But
to handle or 5 cases with public IP is troublesome.

--
Mimiko desu.