[Freeswitch-users] Mutiple GSMopen USB modem setup

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 14:02:22 MSK 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Nandy Dagondon <nandy1925 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have run GSMOpen on CentOS 5.7 defying the Wiki advisory. Questions:

I would invite you to go for the OS distros detailed in the wiki page.
You'll probably encounter problems with different distros, and you're
on your own to solve it.

> 1. What is the maximum number of USB modems tested? Can we get the numbers
> and the CPU used?

I've heard about 48 concurrent, and 64. Me personally have tested with
5. No CPU consumption. The critical part is the USB BUS. So use
cascading and POWERED good usb 2.0 hubs

> 2. I'll be installing multiple modems each connected to a different mobile
> network. Is the /dev/ttyUSB assignments  constant for every modem? Meaning
> it doesn't change if I plug it on different USB jacks.

it will change not only if you change USB port, but also randomly if
you stay on the same USB port and reboot (and sometimes also without
rebooting). That's a "feature" of Linux distros (a demented one,
cannot understand why they choose this behavior).

Soon or later I'll look into this, and come out with a solution (I've
made some preliminary research and reasoning about in the past).

If you have a commercial interest in that, and a real budget for it,
contact me in private as consultant, or put a public bounty on it.

-giovanni

--
Sincerely,

Giovanni Maruzzelli