[Freeswitch-users] Initiating application jitterbuffer multiple times

mayamatakeshi mayamatakeshi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 06:52:56 MSD 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Christopher Rienzo <cmrienzo at gmail.com>wrote:

> When you execute the jitterbuffer application, it will start the jitter
> buffer.  The jitter buffer is paused during bridge by default and is
> resumed when bridge ends.

OK. Thanks.
But this is a bit surprising. What would be the rationale for this?
I mean, at least in the company I work for, jitterbuffer is used to solve
problems during SIP calls. We are not so far trying to solve any problem
with unbridged calls (like calls to voicemail) because we don't have them
yet.

>  You can set sip_jitter_buffer_during_bridge=true if you want the jitter
> buffer to keep running during bridge.

OK. Noted.

> It's ok to call the jitterbuffer application multiple times,

OK.

> but what you described didn't make sense to me.

Well, my doubt was if there is any problem of calling the jitterbuffer app
multiple times. This will happen in case the channel is sent back to the
dialplan (blind transfer) and if I don't check if the jitterbuffer was
already set or not.
I asked this because I saw things in the past like calling start_dtmf more
than once causing duplication of DTMF notification (meaning more than one
resource was allocated for the task). So I would just want to confirm this
will not be the case for jitterbuffer. Otherwise, I would have to check if
jitterbuffer was already called and avoid calling it again (nothing
complex, but I will not add extra code if there is not need).
(I would set it in the sip profile, but as the wiki says, there you cannot
set the jitter buffer max length)

>  When do you want the jitter buffer on?

Actually I want it enabled all the time no matter if the channel is bridged
or not.

>  When do you want it paused?

Never.

Regards,