[Freeswitch-users] how to redirect $${sounds_dir} ?

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Thu Sep 22 10:28:39 MSD 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Michael Collins <msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM, jesse <chat2jesse at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> vars.xml only sets sound_prefix :
>>
>>  <X-PRE-PROCESS cmd="set"
>> data="sound_prefix=$${sounds_dir}/en/us/callie"/>
>>
>> $${sounds_dir} is like $${local_ip_v4}, automatically fetched by the
>> application.
>>
>> not sure whether i can set sounds_dir in vars.xml...
>
> the sounds_dir variable you cannot - it is like the base_dir, htdocs_dir,
> etc. variables. What are you doing that requires you to change
> ${sounds_dir}? Perhaps we can help you with an alternate solution.
> -MC

I just had this same thought too... It would be nice it you could
specify a different dir for sounds as a command-line option like you
can with -conf -db -log and -run.

There are two reasons I would favor that approach...

If you have your own sounds and you don't want to put them into the
/opt/freeswitch dir because it might get in the way of updating
FreeSWITCH with debs or rpms.

Also, that kind of media is likely to be provided via some sort of
file sharing (to make sure all FS servers have the same versions of
the media). Those shares are typically mounted at
/mnt/some/random/path.  It would be pretty nice to just start with a
"-sounds /mnt/foo/bar"

Anyway, just another perspective on it.

Best,
Gabe