[Freeswitch-users] STUN usage with Freeswitch

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Sep 8 04:16:07 MSD 2011

On 09/08/2011 02:10 AM, Claudio Álvarez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I currently operate a publicly accessible stun server, which one of my FreeSWITCH instances operating on Amazon EC2 queries for proper SIP and RTP configuration.
>
> When I query the stun server from FS-EC2, I get the following:
>
> freeswitch at internal>  stun 74.xx.xx.xx
> 184.xx.xx.xx:35087
>
> Can anyone clarify what does the 35087 number port stand for?
It stands for freedom, and the ability to communicate on the public
internet. :-\

Any IP communication occurs through a 5-tuple path, between 2 endpoints.
A source address + a source port (the first 2 elements) forms an
endpoint. This talks through a protocol (the 3rd element) to a
destination address + destination port (the last 2 elements), which form
another endpoint. You asked the STUN server to tell you what your public
endpoint is. It told you.

Steve