[Freeswitch-users] rtp-timer-name issue and question

Matt Stockton mstockton at harqen.com
Wed Nov 16 18:20:38 MSK 2011

Hi all,

I am battling the following issue:

My applications are primarily lua scripts that play files, accept DTMF ,
and make db calls and url callbacks to post information. At one point, I
was having issues with an ever increasing delay for DTMF recognition as the
application progressed (e.g. I would use playAndGetDigits, and the DTMF
wouldn't be 'recognized' for a delayed amount of time. This time would
increase and it appeared to be dependent on the number of db calls and url
callbacks I made in the app -- as I made more, the delay would get worse).
I asked around, and ended up changing this setting in my external sip
profile:  rtp-timer-name = none  (it was soft before). This fixed my issue.

Now, I am battling a separate issue, and I seem to have isolated it's cause
to setting rtp-timer-name to none instead of soft. The problem now is that
when I want to play an mp3 file, and I use streamFile with shout or
playback with http_get, the beginning of the file is not played at all
(playing starts probably about 200-400ms into the file. This is very
repeatable for me - it's not happening to every streamed file, but it seems
to be very deterministic on while line of lua script it's happening (the
streamFile is happening in a loop, and it seems to always be happening to
the first streamed file).  If I change rtp-timer-name to soft, everything
is fine, but then I'll have the first problem I described above.

So, to fix one problem I need rtp-timer-name = none, for the other problem,
I need rtp-timer-name = soft.  I must be doing something wrong here, any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt